The Presbyterian Church of Taiwan is a member of the universal and reformed Presbyterian churches. Its history can be traced to the three Western medical missionaries in Taiwan, specifically Dr. James Maxwell from the from the Presbyterian Church of England in Southern Taiwan in 1865, Dr. George Leslie MacKay from the Presbyterian Church in Canada in Northern Taiwan in 1872, and Campbell Moody and David Landsborough from the Presbyterian Church of England in Changhua in 1896.
Dr. James L. Maxwell, M.A., M.D. (1836-1921), a missionary from the Presbyterian Church of England, was sent to Taiwan in 1865, and he selected Tainan to be the center of the English Presbyterian mission in Taiwan. He opened a clinic and church in Tainan (Kanxi St. Tingzaijiao) for medical missionary work. While working as a medical missionary, he slowly gave the people of Taiwan hope for new life, progress and prosperity. He also brought the thoughts of Western civilization, making Taiwan’s medicine science-based, while introducing general knowledge of world history, astronomy, geography, and mathematics. At the time, missionaries sent by the Presbyterian Church of England to Taiwan were all outstanding physicians, educators and scientists. They went to Tainan and founded Sin-Lau Hospital, and immediately began their medical missionary work. They then helped locals absorb Chinese and Western culture, scientific knowledge, teachings of the Bible, and spread the Gospel. They began establishing elementary schools at churches in various locations at around 1870, and decided to establish a high school of the church on March 15th, 1883.
The Presbyterian Church of England formally selected Tainan to establish the first Western-style high school in Taiwan – Presbyterian Church High School, the predecessor of Chang Jung High School, on September 21st, 1885 (the 11th year of emperor Guangxu of the Qing Dynasty). The first principal was Mr. George Ede, and 126 years have passed since then.
Mr. Chen Ming-Ching, the second chairman of Chang Jung High School, visited Japan to observe development trends of its universities and studied the features of Christian universities in Japan in 1954. Afterwards, the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan resolved for 15 directors, including Chen Ming-Ching and Wu Chi-Fu, to form the first board of directors of Chang Jung College of Liberal Arts. The college was not established at the time, however, due to the Ministry of Education’s ban on establishing universities. The ban was not yet lifted during the term of Mr. Hou Chuan-Cheng, the third chairman of Chang Jung High School (1963-1965), and he hoped to first establish a junior college, but his proposal did not gain support from others. Concrete plans were proposed during the term of Mr. Wu Chi-Fu, the fourth chairman of Chang Jung High School (1965-1989), but remained in the preparatory stage due to legal restrictions.
Mr. Huang Jen-Chun became the fifth chairman of Chang Jung High School in 1985, the year the Ministry of Education lifted the ban on establishing private universities. Together with Dr. Su Chin-An, principal of Chang Jung High School, and Ms. Liu Kui-Chih, chairman of Chang Jung Girls’ High School, they proposed the establishment of Chang Jung College of Engineering to extend the Presbyterian Church’s efforts and contributions to Taiwan’s culture, education and medical care.
The application was formally submitted to the Ministry of Education in March 1988. The Ministry of Education approved the establishment of Chang Jung College of Engineering in June 1989. The board of directors of Chang Jung College of Engineering was established in August the same year and approved for future reference (Tai No.7842620). Mr. Kao Yu-Jen, chairman of the Chang Jung High School Alumni Association, was appointed the chairman of Chang Jung College of Engineering.Foundation registration was completed on February 3rd, 1990 (Nan-Yuan-Min-Fa-Deng No.3781).
Chang Jung College of Engineering was approved to be changed into Chang Jung College of Management on November 16th, 1992 (Tai (81) Gao No. 62959). The registration of Chang Jung College of Management was approved on February 16th, 1993 (Nan-Yuan-Min-Fa-Deng No.9171). Professor Lin Pang-Chung was hired as the first president, and the college took part in the joint college entrance examination in 1993 with four departments, namely information management, business administration, international business, and accounting; the college was approved to recruit 200 new students, setting a milestone for a Christian school in the development history of Taiwan’s higher education.
In 1997, Professor Chien Chu-Nan, the second president was committed to the humanistic education and professional education for holistic education, especially in the promotion of service and art education.
In 2000, Professor Hxiao Long-Sheng, the third president promoted the change of Chang Jung College of Management to Chang Jung Christian University during his tenure. He implemented the holistic education, improved the teaching quality, strengthened the research atmosphere, expanded the promotion service, appropriately added the departments and actively expanded the financial resources.
In 2001, the board of directors of Chang Jung College of Management got financial crisis. It was promptly assisted by Dean Huang Zhao-Sheng of Changhua Christian Hospital. He purchased more than 20 hectares of land in the reserved area for NT$1 billion. In the following year, he promised to provide financial support to the school, help the development and promote the establishment of the Changhua Christian Medical School into Chang Jung College of Management. Chang Jung College of Management was finally approved to be renamed Chang Jung Christian University in academic year 2002 according to Tai (91) Gao (3) Zi Letter No. 91137638 of the Ministry of Education on October 1st, 2002.
In 2003, Dr. Chen, Chin-Seng, the fourth president, led the teachers and students of CJCU to a new era. In his term of office, the David Landsborough Memorial Library, Administration Building and the Student Activity Center were established. On the other hand, he valued campus beautification and encourage art works which are created by teachers and students of CJCU. He also made the university to be "the best private university in South Taiwan". He not only took this as a benchmark, but also promoted growth in teaching and school affairs.
On September 6, 2007, there was a plan “Shalun, the Tainan branch line, Project of Taiwan railway” in Tainan. At the end of the next year, The chairman, Yang Si-Hai, of CJCU attended the meeting “The connecting transportation road of the station near CJCU of Shalun, the Tainan branch line, Project ” He provided the 40-meter avenue which is belonged to CJCU for the connecting transportation road. The Taiwan railway Administration felt grateful that the station was named by CJCU. On January 2, 2011, the "CJCU Station" was officially started. On December 23, 2011, CJCU participated meta-evaluation of university institutional evaluation of the Ministry of Education completed in 2011, CJCU got all pass.
In 2013, Dr. Li Yung-Lung, the seventh president, launched administrative affairs of school in five areas including profits increases, cost structure control, organizational improvement, strategic investment and location value. He dedicated to provide professional teaching, abundant book resources, and snug accommodation. For the spirit of all-around education, he not only encouraged community activities, expanded international exchanges, but also provided students high-quality education with industry-academia cooperation. He led CJCU into the goal of the best private universities in South Taiwan and one of the best Christian Universities in the world.
CJCU was founded based on the salvation and universal love of Jesus Christ, and aims to cultivate knowledgeable talent that is devout, diligent, honorable, and has the spirit of service. It has the vision and mission to make contributions to the nation and society, serve the people, and provide practical education. In 2014, the International Jane Goodall's Roots & Shoots Eco-Center was established. It became leaders in the local communities and beyond. In 2016, it was recognized by the Environmental Protection Agency and got the “4th National Environmental Education Award”. CJCU is a green waterfront university.
Through the implementation of local creative activities, CJCU not only promotes the international exchange, connects with other universities which participate in the plan of roots and shoots in the world, and increases the environmental care and international mobility of students and residents. On the other hand, Yunus Social Business Center was established in 2017. It is the first social business center named after Dr. Muhammad Yunus, a Nobel Peace Prize laureate, in southern Taiwan, but also the second one in our country. Dr. Yunus is improving the plight of poor for a long time and those attempts and practices he did have been getting widespread attention and responses around the world. In order to develop students to have international mobility and vision, CJCU have developed official connections with universities in many countries, such as Hong Kong, Macao, Indonesia, Malaysia, Vietnam, Philippines, Thailand and other countries before New Southbound Policy. CJCU sings the contracts of sister schools with universities in these countries, and has a Joint Dual-degree with Queensland University of Technology. The program provides the degree to abroad students.
Under the leadership of the board of directors and president, all faculty members and students have worked together in each stage of CJCU from preparation, establishment to renaming, enthusiastically running the school, establishing systems and creating features. As of academic year 2018, CJCU has 9 colleges, namely the College of Management, College of Health Science, College of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Information and Design, College of Continuing Education, School of Theology, International College of Practice and Education for the Environment, International School of Business and School of Safety and Health Sciences; in total there are 53 bachelors programs, 16 masters programs, and 1 doctoral program. In the 25 years since CJCU was founded, the number of students has grown from 134 to over 10,000.
All members of CJCU can identify with the founding principles, and respond to the holy calling to carry on past heritage and open up the future, striving to cultivate elite talent for higher education, so as to achieve the ideal and mission of CJCU. With regard to educational goals, CJCU aims to establish a campus with freedom, democracy, diversity, and an open academic atmosphere; to reveal paths for lifelong learning; to cultivate outstanding youth with critical thinking, adaptability to innovation, excellent leadership, forward-looking and broad perspectives, in hopes that they will become highly qualified intellectuals and modern citizens who have universal love, righteousness, service and dedication. This is the ideal and glory of “holistic education” CJCU strives to achieve, and we believe that it is the fruit that will be yielded under the nourishment provided by the Gospel.