Those words, from a poem penned in Chinese by one of the early missionaries to Taiwan, exemplify the rich tradition of service that Chang Jung Christian University was founded on and strives to continue. From the time that the first Presbyterian missionary to Taiwan, James Maxwell, arrived in Taiwan in 1865, the Presbyterian Church in Taiwan has strongly supported education and literacy. Chang Jung High School, Taiwan’s first western-style high school, was founded by Presbyterian missionaries in the city of Tainan in 1885.
For many years, the directors of Chang Jung High School envisioned the establishment of institute of higher learning but were unable to move forward with their plans until 1985, when the Ministry of Education lifted its ban on the establishment of new universities. In that year, Dr. Huang Ren-Chun took over as Chairman of the high school’s Board of Directors and, along with the school’s principal, Dr. Su Jing-An, renewed efforts to establish a university under the Chang Jung name. In 1993, thanks to their tenacity and the generous support of alumni and other friends, Chang Jung College of Management came into existence. In 2002, the longstanding dream of a Chang Jung Christian University became a reality when the school obtained university status. CJCU cherishes its historical roots as an educational pioneer in Taiwan and seeks to continue as a forerunner in Taiwanese Christian education in the 21st century and beyond.